How do students rate each other's posts in a Blackboard discussion board forum?
You can allow students to rate each other's posts in a discussion board, the same way as users rate films, books, and other items listed on websites. This may be useful for enhancing students' engagement levels and promoting peer learning.
Enable peer rating
When you create or modify a discussion board, you can choose to allow members to rate posts.
To modify a discussion once it has been created:
- Enter the discussion board so that you see the list of forums.
- Click on the drop down arrows next to the desired forum and select Edit.
- Scroll down to Forum Settings.
- Tick Allow members to rate posts and click Submit.
Rating a post
Rating of posts is done on a five-star scale. If one or more users have rated a post, the overall rating will appear in the forum in the form of stars next to the post. Users are only allowed to rate each post once, and are not allowed to rate their own posts. This ensures that the overall rating reflects a balanced and accurate measure of the students' responses.
To rate a post:
- Open the discussion board and the desired forum and the required thread.
- Select the desired post.
- If you are not the author and you have not yet rated the post, you will see Your rating with 5 blank stars next to it.
- Select the number of stars that reflects your rating. After at least one person has rated the post, the overall (average) rating will appear as green stars whenever the post is viewed.
Information Services, Aberystwyth University, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 62 2400 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org