How do I create a student group in Blackboard? (Staff)
The Groups tool allows Instructors to organise students into Groups of any size. Instructors can provide communication and collaboration tools that only Group members can access. Adaptive release can also be used to limit items in Blackboard to specific groups. Groups can be created one at a time or in sets. Groups can be designated as Self-Enrol, allowing students to add themselves to a Group, or Manual Enrol, allowing the Instructor to assign students to a Group. There are 2 options for creating groups: single group (creating a group one at a time); group set (creating a set of groups at once).
Create a student group
In the Control Panel under Users and Groups, click Groups.
- Click to create a Single Group or a Group Set.
- Select which enrol method you wish to use.
- self enrol - student's can enrol themselves in a group.
- manual enrol - instructors enrol the students.
- random enrol - AberLearn Blackboard randomly assigns users to groups. This is only available under the Group Set option.
Enter a name for the group. Provide a description if desired, and tick the:
- box to make the group available. If you want to set up a sign up sheet see, How do I add a sign-up list to a content area in my Blackboard course?
- boxes next to the features you wish to enable from the options listed below:
- Decide if you want to allow the group members to personalise their group space.
- Follow the instructions for group membership. These will vary depending on which type of enrolment you selected.
- Under Bulk Actions, selecting Create Smart View creates a grade centre smart view that includes just this group of students.
- Click OK.
To access the group area, click on Control Panel > Users and Groups > Groups and then select the desired group.
All of the features you have enabled will be listed. To use a feature, such as email, click on the link for that feature.
Information Services, Aberystwyth University, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 62 2400 Email: email@example.com