How do I manage question pools in Blackboard Tests? (Staff)
A question pool is a collection of questions that can be can be used in multiple tests or surveys. They can be re-used within existing modules and exported for use on other modules. They are an effective way of building up a bank of questions and of organising your questions (for example, by topic).
Create a question pool
In the relevant module select:
- Control Panel
- Course Tools, Tests, Surveys and Pools
- Build Pool
Give the pool a name and description and click Submit.
Reuse existing questions
To use questions from other tests or pools:
- Select Find Questions. You will see a list of all the tests and pools in your Blackboard module. (Surveys are not included, see note below).
- Select the tests or pools you want, and choose which questions to add by checking the boxes on the left. To add all questions, tick the box at the top.
- Click Submit.
Note: Only questions from tests can be used to generate pools, but questions from pools may be used in either tests or surveys. (As you add a question you will always be prompted to add a correct answer, but once deployed as a survey the correct answer will be ignored).
Create new questions
To add new questions:
- Select Create Question and select the desired question type.
- See the Blackboard guidance for detailed information about each question type and how to create them.
- If you are copying text from another source into the text box, first copy it into a plain text document (such as Notepad), to avoid any formatting and display issues.
- Add images into the question using the Insert Image button in the text editor area.
- Click Submit.
- Your Pool Manager page will now show your pool. Questions can be added or modified as desired. (How do I do this?)
- When you have finished, click OK.
Questions from existing Blackboard pools can also be exported for use in another module. (How can I do that?)
When you have finished editing your question pools you can use the questions to create a test or survey in your Blackboard module. (How do I do this?)
Information Services, Aberystwyth University, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 62 2400 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org