How do I access e-resources off campus?
Aberystwyth University (AU) subscribes to a wide range of high-quality online information to support learning, teaching and research e.g. e-books, e-journals, databases.
Most of these e-resources are easily accessible when using a computer connected via
the University network in a library, teaching room, office or lab
the University network in halls of residence
the University eduroam wireless network
Otherwise you must authenticate yourself as an Aberystwyth University user when accessing most AU-subscribed electronic information resources off-campus.
- Set up your computer to use VPN
You need only do this once. Once you have set up VPN you will have an icon on your desktop ready for you to double-click on each time you need to connect to it.
- Connect to VPN with your AU email address and password
- Sign In to Primo with your AU username and password
If you can successfully complete these two steps you can gain off campus access to the majority of AU-subscribed electronic information resources and their full text.
If you have followed the steps above but cannot gain access, you can find custom off-campus access advice as follows:
- If you have found an e-journal in Primo or a journal article in Primo Central, click View Online (or sometimes Services )
- If you have found an e-book in Primo, click View Online then click Help and password information
- In the search results of any e-resource, and if available, click the @aber button
- Before visiting a database in Primo: Databases A-Z, click the Show Info button
One or more of these advice options may be offered - you need only follow one:
1. Where the advice is Off-campus: please use AberVPN ...
if you have connected to VPN, click through to the publisher's web page.
2. Where the advice is Off-campus: please use Login@Aber ...
if you have signed into Primo, note the rest of the advice and proceed as advised when you click through to the publisher's web page. You may be advised to click on one of these on reaching the publisher's page
- Shibboleth login
- UK Access Federation Login
- Institutional login
- Aberystwyth University login
and choose Aberystwyth University from a list of participating institutions.
3. There are a very small number of resources requiring you to visit this password list . Note the login and password for the resource you are accessing and type it directly into the login box on the publisher's web page.
If you are having problems accessing e-resources off campus please see our troubleshooter which includes details on how to contact Information Services.
Information Services, Aberystwyth University, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 62 2400 Email: email@example.com