How do I access e-resources off campus?
FYI most AU Library ebooks, ejournals, full text articles and databases can be accessed directly when using a computer connected via the wired campus network in halls, libraries, teaching rooms, offices etc., when using the University's wifi (eduroam), multi-factor VPN or JANET roaming from a participating institution.
Before you start any searching off-campus: sign into Primo
- Go to https://primo.aber.ac.uk/
- Sign in using the Sign in link at the top right hand of your screen
You know you have signed in successfully if your name displays at the top right hand of your screen.
You are now authenticated to access AU subscribed electronic resources. If you close your browser, you will need to sign into Primo again to re-authenticate.
In Primo search results: find the link to full text and follow the Authentication notes
If you have found an ebook or ejournal in Primo
- click the title to open the details and click View Online in the left column
If you have found an online journal article in Primo: Articles
- click the title to open the details and click View it in the left column
1. Where the Authentication notes display: Off-campus: please use Login@Aber ...
- Check the Authentication notes and click the Full text available at: link to the publisher's page
You may be advised to click one of these on the publisher's page
- Shibboleth Login link
- UK Access Federation Login
- Institutional login
- Aberystwyth University login
and choose Aberystwyth University from a list of participating institutions.
2. Where the Authentication notes display: Off-campus: please use Primo VPN
Follow the Primo VPN link (you will need to sign in if you have not already signed into Primo) and click the Full text available at: link to to the publisher's page
- When you have finished researching with Primo VPN, remember to close the browser as Primo VPN can inhibit your access to other resources.
You can use multi-factor VPN instead of Primo VPN however you must contact Information Services in advance to have this set up.
3. Where the Authentication notes display: Access information is provided at the online Password List ...
There are a small number of resources requiring you to visit this password list.
- Sign in into the password list with your Aber username and password
- Note the login and password for the resource you are accessing
- In Primo click the Full text available at: link to the publisher's page and type / paste in the resource login and password directly into the login box there
In the search results of any online resource: if you see an @aber button
- click @aber to check if the resource is available online; if it is, follow the authentication advice as given above
I still cannot access the online resource - what should I do?
If you are having problems accessing online resources off campus please read the troubleshooter which includes details on how to contact Information Services.
Information Services, Aberystwyth University, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 62 2400 Email: email@example.com