How do I connect to my work computer with the Remote Desktop facility?
You can use the Windows remote desktop facility to connect to your office computer from another computer, as long as both are connected to the University network either on campus or from home using VPN ( How do I do that? ).
The computer you are connecting to will need to left on and connected to the network for this facility to work.
On the University owned computer you wish to connect to:
- Enable Remote Desktop from the Software Centre by clicking Install ( How do I do that? )
- Find the IP address of this computer so you can set up remote connection ( How do I do that? )
On to the computer you want to connect from:
If you are trying to use remote desktop from home you need to set up the VPN connection first ( How do I do that? ).
- Go to Start
- Click All Programs then Accessories and click Remote Desktop Connection
- Type in the IP Address of the computer you want to connect to and click Connect
- You will be asked for a user name and password. This is the user name and password you use to log on to the computer you are connecting to.
Information Services, Aberystwyth University, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 62 2400 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org