How do I access e-resources off campus?
Aberystwyth University (AU) subscribes to a wide range of high-quality online information resources to support learning, teaching and research e.g. e-books, e-journals, databases.
Most of these e-resources are easily accessible when using a computer connected via the University's wired network in halls, libraries, teaching rooms, offices etc. This is also the case when using the University's wifi (eduroam) or JANET roaming from a participating institution.
You must authenticate yourself as an Aberystwyth University student or member of staff when accessing most AU-subscribed electronic information resources off-campus.
What do I do the first time I'm accessing e-resources off campus?
- Set up your computer to use VPN
You need only do this once. Once you have set up VPN you will have an icon on your desktop ready for you to double-click on each time you need to connect to it.
What do I do every time I'm accessing e-resources off campus?
- Connect to VPN with your AU email address and password
- Sign In to Primo with your AU username and password
If you can successfully complete these two steps you can easily gain off campus access to the majority of AU-subscribed electronic information resources and their full text.
Where can I find additional instructions if I need them?
If you have followed the steps above but cannot gain access, you can find custom off-campus access advice as follows:
- If you have found an e-journal in Primo or a journal article in Primo Central, click View Online (or sometimes Services )
- If you have found an e-book in Primo, click View Online then click Help and password information
- In the search results of any e-resource, and if available, click the @aber button
- Before visiting a database in Primo: Resources A-Z, click the Show Info button
One or more of these advice options may be offered - you need only follow one:
1. Where the advice is Off-campus: please use AberVPN ...
if you have connected to VPN, click through to the publisher's web page.
2. Where the advice is Off-campus: please use Login@Aber ...
if you have signed into Primo, note the rest of the advice and proceed. You may be advised to click on one of these on reaching the publisher's page
- Shibboleth login
- UK Access Federation Login
- Institutional login
- Aberystwyth University login
and choose Aberystwyth University from a list of participating institutions.
3. There are a very small number of resources requiring you to visit this password list . Note the login and password for the resource you are accessing and type it directly into the login box on the publisher's web page.
I still cannot access the e-resource - what should I do?
If you are having problems accessing e-resources off campus please read the troubleshooter which includes details on how to contact Information Services.
Information Services, Aberystwyth University, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 62 2400 Email: email@example.com