How do I access e-resources off campus?
What do I do every time I'm preparing to access e-resources off campus?
- Sign in to Primo VPN with your AU username and password. You must keep the browser open while you work.
- Sign In to Primo with your AU username and password - you will be prompted to do this after connecting to Primo VPN
If you successfully complete these two steps you can easily gain off campus access to the majority of AU-subscribed electronic information resources and their full text.
FYI AU Library ebooks, ejournals,full text articles and databases are easily accessible when using a computer connected via the wired campus network in halls, libraries, teaching rooms, offices etc., when using the University's wifi (eduroam) or JANET roaming from a participating institution.
Where can I find additional instructions if I need them?
If you have followed the steps above but cannot gain access, you can find custom off-campus access advice as follows:
- If you have found an e-book or e-journal in Primo, click View Online and check the Authentication notes
- If you have found a journal article in Primo: Articles, click View Online then Full text available and check the Authentication notes
- In the search results of any e-resource, and if available, click the @aber button
One or more of these advice options may be offered - you need only follow one:
1. Where the advice is Off-campus: please use Primo VPN ...
if you have signed in to Primo VPN, click through to the publisher's web page.
2. Where the advice is Off-campus: please use Login@Aber ...
if you have signed into Primo, note the rest of the advice and proceed. You may be advised to click one of these on the publisher's page
- Shibboleth login
- UK Access Federation Login
- Institutional login
- Aberystwyth University login
and choose Aberystwyth University from a list of participating institutions.
3. There are a very small number of resources requiring you to visit this password list. Note the login and password for the resource you are accessing and type it directly into the login box on the publisher's web page.
I still cannot access the e-resource - what should I do?
If you are having problems accessing e-resources off campus please read the troubleshooter which includes details on how to contact Information Services.
Information Services, Aberystwyth University, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 62 2400 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org