Further information on the laptops available to borrow from Information Services
Information Services have laptops available for short term loan. Laptops are available to Aberystwyth University contracted staff and undergraduate and postgraduate students in support of the academic aims of the University.
Our laptops are installed with Prey tracking software. In the event of loss, theft, or otherwise missing laptops, the software can be activated remotely. Once active, the software can track the laptop's location, activity and if neccessary, lock or wipe the laptop.
All laptops have a built-in webcam, microphone & speakers. They are supplied with:
- Power supply charger and lead
- Laptop case
Peripherals and other items are available separately.
Most commonly used programs are pre-installed and ready to use:
- GlobalProtect VPN
- Microsoft Teams
- Microsoft Office
- Inspiration 9
- Texthelp Read & Write 11
- PDF reader
Additional software supplied by the University can be installed by browsing the Software Center shortcut on the desktop. We provide a selection of commonly used utilities as well as course specific software that is available to use on University computers
For software that isn't supplied by the University, please contact Information Services for a temporary administrator password to install your software
Logging in and using the laptop
- The laptops are set up for use with your University account
- You should log in to the laptop for the first time before you take it off campus
- If you have any issues logging in to one of our laptops, please contact Information Services
Returning the laptop
- Laptops must be returned to the Hugh Owen Library
- When you have returned the laptop, it is cleaned and rebuilt
- The rebuilding process wipes all data relating to you, your accounts and activites from on the laptop. It is crucial that you back-up all important documents created or stored on the loan stock laptop as these will not be retrievable after a rebuild.
- Please also ensure that any personal belongings are not accidentally left in the laptop case when returned
Information Services, Aberystwyth University, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 62 2400 Email: email@example.com