How do I create an account to use the advanced features when reading a scanned chapter/article on Aspire?
Viewing a scanned chapter or article on an Aspire reading list
When you see the View Online option against a chapter or article in an Aspire reading list, once logged in via your Shibboleth credentials you will be taken directly into the extract via a reader called Kortext which allows you to read, print and download to PDF.
To use any of the advanced features, including: highlighting, bookmarking, note taking, export referencing, and for the reader to remember your page for next time, you will need to create a free account to log in.
Creating an account
If you attempt to use the advanced features and you do not already have an account, the following pop-up will be displayed.
1. Click Sign in or create my account
2. Add your details as instructed and click Create my account
* You can use your Aberystwyth University email address (e.g. email@example.com) Remember do not use your Aberystwyth University password. Choose another one. *
3. You can save your login details with your browsers cookies to remember for next time and make logging on easier. You will need to login to the reader each time you click on a new link, if you wish to use advanced features. However, as stated above, cookies can be used to remember your credentials and we suggest that these are used to make logging back in easier.
You can log back in using the Sign in to Kortext option.
4. The first page of the PDF extract is the Copyright Notice. You can then navigate the extract by either using the bars which appear at the bottom of the extract, or by the arrow icons on your keyboard.
5. In the settings tab it is possible to change the language between English and Welsh.
If you cannot access the scan and just have the Kortext waiting message or a blank screen, ensure that your Cookies are not being blocked.
If this does not resolve the issue, contact the Digitisation Team firstname.lastname@example.org
Information Services, Aberystwyth University, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 62 2400 Email: email@example.com