How do I access e-resources off campus?
Most AU Library ebooks, ejournals, full text articles and databases can be accessed directly when away from campus by using multi-factor VPN, or by using JANET roaming from a participating institution.
If not using these services, before you start any library searching away from campus
- Sign into Primo (How do I do that?)
In Primo, when you find
- an ebook or ejournal, click the title to open the details and click View Online in the left menu
- an online journal article, click the title to open the details and click View it in the left menu
and follow the advice in the authentication notes.
If the Authentication notes display: Off-campus: please use Login@Aber ...
- you can click the Full text available at: link to the publisher's page to read the full-text because you have signed into Primo
You may also be advised to click one of these when you reach the publisher's page
- Shibboleth Login link
- UK Access Federation Login
- Institutional login
- Aberystwyth University login
and choose Aberystwyth University from a list of participating institutions.
If the Authentication notes display: Off-campus: please use Primo VPN
- Open Primo VPN (How do I do that?) and click the Full text available at: link to the publisher's page
When you have finished researching with Primo VPN, remember to close the browser as Primo VPN can inhibit your access to other resources.
You can use multi-factor VPN instead of Primo VPN, which provides a wider range of services, however if you are off campus you must contact Information Services to set this up.
If the Authentication notes display: Access information is provided at the online Password List ...
There are a small number of resources requiring you to visit this password list.
- Sign in into the password list with your Aber username and password
- Note the login and password for the resource you are accessing
- In Primo click the Full text available at: link to the publisher's page and type / paste in the resource login and password directly into the login box there
In any online resource: you find an @aber button
If you are searching within online databases you may find @aber buttons displayed with your search results
- click @aber to check if the resource is available at AU via Primo; if it is, follow the authentication advice as described above
If you are having problems accessing online resources off campus please read the troubleshooter which includes details on how to contact Information Services.
Information Services, Aberystwyth University, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 62 2400 Email: email@example.com